16 August 2005

Start Spreading the News


Greetings cheese lovers!

The Big Cheese is back in the Big Apple, setting up
shop in the town so nice they named it twice:

New York, New York.

But fear not, Left Coast-types. TCS still has several
friends west of the Rockies who will be checking in
from time to time.

Meanwhile, it appears that the other Big Cheese has
finally met his match in Crawford. If you haven’t
heard the name Cindy Sheehan, read all about her, here.

You would think that a president who had even the
smallest bit of compassion and political sense would
find some time in his month-long vacation to speak
with a grieving mother of a fallen U.S. soldier.

But not this president.

CRAWFORD, Texas – President Bush, noting
that lots of people want to talk to the
president and ‘‘it's also important for me to
go on with my life,'' on Saturday defended
his decision not to meet with the grieving
mom of a soldier killed in Iraq.

Bush said he is aware of the anti-war
sentiments of Cindy Sheehan and others
who have joined her protest near the Bush
ranch.

‘‘But whether it be here or in Washington or
anywhere else, there's somebody who has
got something to say to the president, that's
part of the job,'' Bush said on the ranch.
‘‘And I think it's important for me to be
thoughtful and sensitive to those who have
got something to say.''

‘‘But,'' he added, ‘‘I think it's also important
for me to go on with my life, to keep a
balanced life.''

The comments came prior to a bike ride on
the ranch with journalists and aides. It also
came as the crowd of protesters grew in
support of Sheehan, the California mother
who came here Aug. 6 demanding to talk to
Bush about the death of her son Casey.
Sheehan arrived earlier in the week with
about a half dozen supporters. As of
Saturday there were about 300 anti-war
protestors and approximately 100 people
supporting the Bush administration.

Sheehan is seeking a justification for the
war, as well as her son's death.

‘‘I don't want comfort from him,'' she said
Friday. ‘‘I want answers. I want the truth.''

Bush on Saturday said, ‘‘I've heard their
complaints about my policy. I think it would
be a big mistake to withdraw immediately
from Iraq, which is what they're suggesting
we do.''

In addition to the two-hour bike ride, Bush's
Saturday schedule included an evening
Little League Baseball playoff game, a
lunch meeting with Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice, a nap, some fishing and
some reading.